Transfer SMS messages from Nokia to Android devices

Although there exist numerous articles explaining how to transfer SMS messages from Nokia to Android based devices, all of them required many additional programs to work. For this solution you only need to install

1. Nokia PC Suite on your computer and
  2. SMS Importer (Lite) on your Android device

Once completed, follow these steps to transfer your SMS messages from your Nokia to your Android device.

Update: The company behind SMS Importer (Secomba GmbH) obviously removed the Lite version from the Play Store. So you can either buy the β€œpro” version or try to download a previous version from e.g. http://androappslib.blogspot.co.at/2012/04/sms-importer.html. Please have a look at the comments below where to find the APK.

The Process

1. In Nokia PC Suite open Nokia Communication Center and mark all messages you want to export (e.g. in Inbox)
  2. Export messages as CSV file using File -> Export and use CSV as file type

The following shows an examplary line of the CSV export file:

"sms","READ,RECEIVED","+SENDER_PHONE_NR","","","2012.08.02 05:54","","MESSAGE"

Ensure that the resulting CSV file is UTF-8 encoded. Do so by opening it with your favorite editor (e.g. Notepad++) and save it as UTF-8 content.

1. Save CSV export file to your Android device on SD-card, without subfolders, e.g. /sdcard/sms.csv
  2. Install SMS Importer (Lite) on target Android device
  3. Configure SMS Importer (Lite) using the following settings:
    • in Main window
      • Folder: Inbox (or Sent depending on the messages you exported from Nokia PC Suite)
      • Source type: Custom
        • Sender position: 3
        • Date position: 6
        • Date format: yyyy.MM.dd HH:mm
        • Body position: 8
  4. Back in Main screen hit Menu button and start import

Hints

If you receive an “an unexpected error occurred” message on import check the advanced CSV settings again and ensure correct UTF-8 encoding as well. The SMS Importer Lite version is limited to 100 messages during import. If you have more than 100 messages (like me) simply split initial CSV file and start the same process for each file.

You may also like...

38 Responses

1. sandy says:

This tutorial really works for me
    thank you very much for the time you spend for creating this post
    really appreciate it!

2. Link to SMS Importer (Lite) gives me 404… πŸ™

3. Yast says:

You sire are a like saver πŸ™‚ thank you and happy new year…

would appreciate if you can put the importer link in the main article

thanks again πŸ˜›

4. Siddharth says:

came across at least 8-10 methods of doing this task…by far this is the simplest and easiest one! thanks a ton…

5. Peter says:

Thank you so much for sharing this.

It has helped me migrate my wife’s work SMS to her Android phone.

I wish I had this information a year ago when I also migrated from Nokia to Android. I couldn’t migrate my SMS back then. Wasnt that important for me but it is for my wife’s.

Thank you so much again, Matthias. You’re a life saver!

Cheers.

6. Arna says:

Hi, Matthias
    I`m late
    Not working also πŸ™
    Any ideas where I could find previous SMS Importer (Lite) version

7. sagar bandkar says:

hello,

it’s showing an unexpected error occurred. i’ve also checked your not “If you receive an β€œan unexpected error occurred” message on import check the advanced CSV settings again and ensure correct UTF-8 encoding as well.” still not getting solved.

8. Psyzz says:

Hey Matthias, thanks for this guide.
    I’ve spent hours trying to sort this and seem to be stuck in the exact same place as Sagar. Can you help?

• Hi Sagar and Psyzz,

sorry for the late response. Please ensure that the order of the data columns exported via Nokia Communication Center match the settings used for SMS Lite exactly. Also make sure that the date format used matches. I believe the problem is caused by at least one column not match the import rules. If this does not work feel free to post an exemplary line of your export so it’s easier to double check for possible problems.

Hope that helps. Cheers

9. varun says:

still unexpected eror after doing all settings and also checked columns etc too

10. avdhoot says:

It is showing , even when i double checked advanced CSV settings. My data is in the following format. could you please help me with it ?
    “sms”,”READ,RECEIVED”,”Sender’s number”,””,””,”2012.05.27 22:49″,””,”message body”

• Hi avdhoot,

the export syntax seems just fine. Please double check that all phone numbers are in international format, e.g. +COUNTRY… Secondly, please ensure that no header line is present in the export file and that it is properly UTF-8 encoded (see comments above).

Also maybe try to change your Android’s phone locale to en_US when importing the contacts, to rule out any possible errors when dealing with multiple locales.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
      Matthias

• valandil says:

Hi advhoot,
      I have exactly the same problem, as yours (SMS importer does not see my .csv export file). Have you resolved this? If so, can you share the solution with me? Many thx in advance!

11. Junrex says:

Finally!!! my problems were solve. Thank you so much for this post.. I really, really appreciated it… I Have imported over 1000 messages to my android phone πŸ˜† with just 1 click…

12. Martin says:

Hi man, i cant find SMS Importer (Lite).
    Can you please help me? give a link or something..

Ive tried a few month now to move my sms from my old nokia phone, and didnt work. So i hope ur method will work! please help!

Best Regards

13. lola says:

Just great!
    Muchas gracias!

14. Neha says:

Hi,

In my HTC desire I am not getting a start import button. any idea?

15. vash says:

hi,
    I’m using lenovo A390. but only ‘preview & import’ button available in the menu. and when I press it, ‘error the file could not be found. please change the file location to point to valid file’ message shown. do you have any suggestion?

• Hi vash,
      there is only one button labeled “Preview & Import” available in this app, so that’s OK. Please make sure that the CSV file to import exists at the file location specified via the option “File”, e.g. /sdcard/sms.csv. Hope that helps. Cheers

16. alaa says:

Please I can not download the software sms importre please help direct Lick

• Hi alaa,
      I’m sorry it seems like the APK link provided in the blog post is not available anymore. You still might find the lite version somewhere on the internet. Sorry, but I do not provide a direct link here anymore. Good luck!

17. Murtaza says:

Hi Matthias,
    Following link giving error: Blog has been removed

18. Albert says:

Thanks a lot, it works!!! The only programm that works for me, after 2 days of searching finaly find what I need. All fine except 100 sms limitation in lite version. But anyway, thanks.

PS. Matthias, the link you posted show 404 not found page(SMS Importer (Lite) on your Android device,this link and another you posted below ), so I google it and download it.