Hi, I’m Matthias Kerstner.
I am a technology enthusiast since my first humble steps in the digitized world. Since then I have acquired many years of experience designing, developing, testing and maintaining enterprise-grade software systems based on a wide range of technologies and tools.
As a software engineer at heart, I believe that it is (still) essential to also understand the workings of the underlying systems involved, ranging from different hardware setups to enterprise-grade load-balanced networks and their related services. Especially when planing and developing scalable software solutions the infamous acronyms of today’s computing terms come into play: IaaS, PaaS and SaaS. Having a good understanding of what is going on behind the curtains is (still) key to unfold the full potential at hand.
Keeping up with the latest technological trends should play an immanent role in the daily business of a software engineer. Buzzwords, such as Big Data, Internet of Things (IoT), Social computing, Smart Assistants or 3D printing are not just abstract terms but have evolved to become integral parts of our daily lives. The technological and social ecosystems surrounding these terms will be further expanding in the next couple of years. As a consequence, keeping up with existing and evolving technologies in this particular sector is a major task.
If you are interested feel free to read up on my blog on various topics from past projects and clients, products and companies I’ve had the chance to work with.
Agile Methodologies – SCRUM
I strongly believe in the power of agile management and agile development. As a Certified ScrumMaster® (CSM) and Certified Scrum Product Owner® (CSPO) I have successfully guided self-organizing Scrum teams in numerous national and international projects. In addition, as agile consultant and trainer I frequently enjoy the exchange with fellow, like-minded people.
I hold a master’s degree in Software Development and Business Management from the Graz University of Technology with a focus on Information Systems and the Internet, as well as Business- and General Management. Already during my studies I’ve had the chance to meet and work together with great people in various international projects, some of which are still actively maintained.
Past professional stations involve being the CTO at mything, an internationally renowned start-up based in Austrian that works on providing an innovative marketplace for international and customizable 2D/3D designs to be locally and on-demand produced for customers by a vast network of highly reliable and quality checked manufacturers. Before that, over more than a decade I’ve enjoyed working for various great companies in management and executive consulting roles, as well as hands-on senior software engineer and team lead for national and international companies as part of numerous larger scale projects.
In our highly digitized world today there is an almost endless range of interesting leads to pursue. When asked by people on my personal key areas of interest I tend to provide the following list – in no real order (and not only to satisfy the bullshit bingo we all know so well):
- Agile Management & Development
- enable teams to deliver their best
- rapid prototyping as key to quick wins (“MVP”)
- iterative approach to quickly adjust to (customer) needs (“PSP”)
- maintain agile development process while still sticking to pre-defined schedules
- early and continuous (customer) feedback
- Software Engineering / Architecture & Ecosystems (holistic view)
- successful software is based on a stable, yet extendable architecture
- re-usability of deployed components and services plays an immanent role (“micro-services”, IaaS, etc.)
- focus on enterprise-grade solutions on an international level in heterogeneous environments
- Analytics / Big Data / Insights
- scalability and challenging factors
- innovative frameworks and tools
- querying big data interfaces to gain domain insights
- analysis and possible tracking of heterogeneous user profiles
- Usability / UX / Interactive Design
- good UX to present users with easy to use functionality
- collaboration with UX/Interactive Designers is of great importance
- after all, don’t make me think!
- and many more ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
When I’m not busy…
Apart from my daily business life I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, do sports, eat great food and relax while traveling to other countries.
If you want to get in touch please use the contact options provided on the contacts page.